Siyakhula Dry Ice (Pty) Ltd
home page
dry ice products
dry ice applications
interactive calculations
about us
what is dry ice?
dry ice safety info
contact us
Dryice Safety Information

Dryice safety logoHandling
The temperature of dry ice is -80º Celsius. This is cold enough to freeze skin cells and cause an injury similar to a burn. Always handle dry ice with protective gloves or a towel.

Store dry ice in an insulated container. Do not store dry ice in a container that is completely airtight. As the dry ice changes to CO2 (carbon dioxide) gas, it will cause an airtight container to expand or possibly explode.

Dry ice gives off CO2 into the air. If dry ice has been in a closed vehicle or room for more than 10 minutes, open the doors and windows to allow ventilation before entering. Leave the area immediately if you start to breathe quickly or your fingernails and lips turn blue.

Guidelines for Safe Dry Ice Use

  • Use cotton gloves, towels, or pot holders when handling dry ice.
  • Use in a ventilated location.
  • Children should be supervised by an adult when using dry ice.


Do not touch   Do not touch.
Dry ice is a skin and eye irritant.
Avoid contact with skin, mouth, eyes, and clothing. May cause severe frostbite or burns.
Do not eat   Do not eat or place in your mouth.
Dry ice is harmful if eaten or swallowed. If eaten, seek medical help immediately.
Ensure Adequate ventilation   Could cause suffocation.
Dry ice changes to CO2 (carbon dioxide) gas as it sublimates (decomposes). Do not use or store in a confined space.
Aerated containers only  

Do not place in airtight containers.
Airtight containers may explode as dry ice converts to CO2 gas.

Ensure adequate ventilation   Do not store dry ice where people sleep.
Only use dry ice in open or well ventilated areas. Otherwise, a lack of oxygen (suffocation) can occur, causing serious injury or death.




Copyright - Siyakhula Dry Ice